chellebelle2016. Powered by Blogger.

4 Things Working Part-Time Has Taught Me


If you're a regular reader of my blog posts, you will have noticed the lack of content these past few weeks. The title of this blog post is the reason for that. I have been working A LOT this summer. In fact I have done more shifts than I originally thought I would. There are many benefits to working during your summer. One of those benefits is being able to make money (obviously).
With moving out of my family home to live on Campus for University, I have had to save up as much as possible. I have also had money on the side, in order to do fun things on my days off.

Despite money being the biggest benefit of working, I have also learnt a lot, which I feel will come in handy.

Today I thought I would share with you, the things that working part-time has taught me.

1) Patience is important

I work in hospitality, so service is the heart of my role. Of course I do other things behind the scenes but ultimately my job is all about the happiness of the clients/customers. I meet some lovely people on my shifts, however I also meet some....difficult people. There are people who aren't the most considerate and often make my job far harder. With that, I have had to learn to have patience. I have never been a confrontational person, so in that aspect, everything has been fine, but sometimes clients make you feel super anxious and frustrated. It is very easy to let certain comments, looks and demands get to you but with time I have learnt to be patient and just take the punches. Sometimes it may be a case of the client not enjoying their meal but because you're the first face they see, they take it out on you. Another example may be that you are working in front of house and a client wants to move seats but company policy prohibits that and they start to complain. I have come across some of the most stubborn people but i've just had to learn to be patient. Sometimes it's hard. Very hard.

2) Be Open-Minded

Working for an agency comes with many opportunities to do a variety of shifts and meet tons of people. I've done weddings, company events, concerts, sports games, ceremonies etc. I'm constantly doing something different. No shift is ever the same, even when you're doing the same event all week. When I first started back in December last year, I never thought I would do the things I have done this year or been to the places I have. I have done shifts all over the country, this summer alone. I also thought I would stick to the shifts within my own city and didn't really think to do so many different jobs but I have and I'm so grateful. I have done bartending in Bristol, Waiting in Cambridge, a wedding in Worcestershire and so much more. My job has taught me to take more opportunities and try new things.

3) Talking will always beat Online

I am on casual contract, which means that I don't have a certain amount of hours I must do per week and I don't necessarily get given shifts at any time. Most the time I book shifts for days I am available and they respond by confirming it or giving me something else. For MONTHS I booked my shifts online and my applications would get ignored or rejected. At first I thought it was because they just didn't like me or perhaps they had favourite employees but actually it's just because talking beats online. When you book shifts online, it gets completely lost in the system. My agency has over 500 employees which explains why that would happen. A lot of the time your application won't be seen at all because of the amount of applications made. However, when you call up or go directly to Head Quarters to book your shifts, they will always have work for you since they can give it there and then. I have ALWAYS gotten work whenever I have called, whereas I rarely get them when I use the app or book via website .Although this is a lesson for my place of employment, I feel that it has taught me to do more things traditionally. We get so caught up in doing things online because it's easier than talking, but actually there are many benefits to picking up the phone or visiting in person. You see results a lot quicker, you build relationships and develop communication skills.

4) There is nothing to worry about!

I used to always get nervous before a shift. I still do sometimes but I have gained so much more confidence compared to when I first started. In fact, I have gained confidence this summer alone. I used to work myself up over little things and panic because of fear that I would mess up. I have learnt that there is nothing to worry about. I used to be so scared to drop a hot plate or spill drinks. I've done both those things at least 3 times and I'm yet to lose my job over it. I really did used to believe that I would get the sack for dropping a plate. It's basically a part of the job. Nothing ever goes perfect. You have good shifts and not so good shifts but you learn. I have gotten better at waiting and I know there is far more to learn.

These are just 4 of many things that working part-time has taught me. I don't always enjoy working but I never regret doing a shift.

Do you have a part-time job? If so, what have you learnt from it?

Thanks for reading,
Have a great day X




No comments

I love hearing from you guys so feel free to comment. Even if it's just to say hi ;)