chellebelle2016. Powered by Blogger.

One Of Us Is Lying Book Review [NO SPOILERS]


One Of Us Is Lying by Karen M. McManus was my first read of the year. Usually I would have a book ready to read from the 1st of January, but I took a long time reading my last book 'Battle Field of the Mind by Joyce Meyers. I finished that book somewhere around the 2nd or 3rd, after reading it on and off throughout December. After closing the last page, I created my TBR- See here if you are interested, and ordered my first couple of books. I decided to start with One of us is lying, and it did not disappoint.

Just in case you haven't read my TBR post that I posted last week (which you should), here is what the book is all about:

The Breakfast Club meets Pretty Little LiarsOne of Us Is Lying is the story of what happens when five strangers walk into detention and only four walk out alive. Everyone is a suspect, and everyone has something to hide. 

Pay close attention and you might solve this.

On Monday afternoon, five students at Bayview High walk into detention.
Bronwyn, the brain, is Yale-bound and never breaks a rule. 
Addy, the beauty, is the picture-perfect homecoming princess. 
Nate, the criminal, is already on probation for dealing.
Cooper, the athlete, is the all-star baseball pitcher.
And Simon, the outcast, is the creator of Bayview High's notorious gossip app.

Only, Simon never makes it out of that classroom. Before the end of detention, Simon's dead. And according to investigators, his death wasn't an accident. On Monday, he died. But on Tuesday, he'd planned to post juicy reveals about all four of his high-profile classmates, which makes all four of them suspects in his murder. Or are they the perfect patsies for a killer who's still on the loose? 
Everyone has secrets, right? What really matters is how far you would go to protect them...

When I first heard about this book, I thought it would be more centred around the actual death of Simon and have me on edge the whole time, but actually it's a very light-hearted and fun read. The book is of course focusing around the idea of a sudden death but once you get into it, you realize that it focuses more on the characters' lives, which I kind of liked. The book follows each characters' perspectives on what happened, what they were going through in their personal lives and their social status at school etc. I really loved the way the author built each character. I think the character development was my favourite thing about the book. 

As the story goes on, you really start to understand each person and almost become attached to them. There were times when I felt really sorry for each of them, annoyed at them and happy for them. With the setting being a high school, it's very easy for young people to relate to and some of the secrets they kept are secrets I am sure many other students have. 

This book covers a lot of ground. It talks about A LOT of things that teenagers have to deal with in their lives. For the sake of not spoiling the book I won't go TOO into it but it discusses identity, relationships, friendships, depression and pressure of making a future for yourself. It was really nice to see how REAL the book was, regardless of it being fictional. 

The book took me 5 days to read, which isn't bad considering I had an exam I was studying for. It was nice to read a couple chapters when I had free time, before bed or in the morning. 

One thing I wasn't too fond of though, was the way it kind of jumped ahead towards the end. There was a section where there was utter chaos and then all of a sudden things just changed out of nowhere. I feel like it didn't follow the rest of the realism the book stuck to, but I really can't complain because it is a fiction book. 

Overall I would give this 4 out of 5 stars. I did really enjoy it, and it's a book that taught you something important in a very subtle way. 

Have you read this book? Let me know in the comments your thoughts, if so. And will you consider reading it if you haven't? 

Thanks for reading, 
Have a great day x 



14 comments

  1. I love the sound of this book! Definitely sounds like something I would enjoy, so definitely need to pick it up. Can't believe you finished it within five days xx

    Hannah | luxuryblush

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Honestly it was such a nice read. Definitely should pick it up if you're into YA novels xx

      Delete
  2. I'm huge book reader.
    Thanks for sharing.
    xx
    https://theonethattravels.wordpress.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for reading! Make sure to check out my other reviews throughout the year if you want to know my thoughts on other books

      Delete
  3. This sounds very interesting. Love a nice mystery and reading about the ways of a characters lives.

    www.fashionradi.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do too. I like having people to root for throughout stories.

      Delete
  4. I thought it was going to focus more on the death of Simon too and be a lot darker, but there is a lot of humour to it as well! I agree it was very real and I could empathise with all the characters. I totally agree about the end, it seemed like it reached such a climax and then calmed down way too soon! But I’m glad you enjoyed it as much as I did!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah I would have loved the end to go into more depth but it was still a fab read x

      Delete
  5. I agree with you !! when i saw the cover and the summary i thought its gonna be a murder thriller but the ending surprised me . I initially did not like the ending but as i thought about it; I came to love it. i feel so relatable and real withing being fiction !! Highly recommend

    ReplyDelete
  6. i agree with you !! when i saw the cover; i thought it is gonna be a murder thriller because i did not now what is The breakfast club. but as i read on; i got to now i was wrong and it was much more than that . i agree with the ending being too unrealistic but overall it a must read!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I actually haven't read or seen the breakfast club but based on conversations, its clear it was definitely inspired by it

      Delete
  7. I read this book and loved how much it reminded me of The Breakfast Club! I totally agree with you about the ending though, it was a touch hard for me to follow. I am so inspired by how awesome your blog is doing as well! I actually just started one of my own and if you could check it out at bulletproofbookreviews.blog it would be so amazing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for reading, Madi. I will definitely check it out

      Delete

I love hearing from you guys so feel free to comment. Even if it's just to say hi ;)