chellebelle2016. Powered by Blogger.

The Hate U Give by Angie Thomas Book Review [NO SPOILERS]


Whatever you are doing at this current moment, you need to stop and go read this book. This is by far the BEST book I have read in a long time. I actually saw the movie before I read the book. I had no idea that it was originally a novel, but I loved the movie so much that I purchased the book as soon as I knew of its existence. Although it is a fiction book, it has so much truth. The message and story is one that is so important and MUST be made apparent to everyone.

For those of you who are unfamiliar with what the book is about, here is a brief description from Good Reads: 

'Sixteen-year-old Starr Carter moves between two worlds: the poor neighborhood where she lives and the fancy suburban prep school she attends. The uneasy balance between these worlds is shattered when Starr witnesses the fatal shooting of her childhood best friend Khalil at the hands of a police officer. Khalil was unarmed.

Soon afterward, his death is a national headline. Some are calling him a thug, maybe even a drug dealer and a gangbanger. Protesters are taking to the streets in Khalil’s name. Some cops and the local drug lord try to intimidate Starr and her family. What everyone wants to know is: what really went down that night? And the only person alive who can answer that is Starr.

But what Starr does—or does not—say could upend her community. It could also endanger her life.'

There is so much I want to say about this book, but I'm going to hold myself back so that I don't spoil it for anyone. This book has won goodreads choice, THREE YEARS in a row. If that doesn't convince you to read it, I don't know what will. 

I went through so many different emotions whilst reading this book. I laughed; I smiled; my heart broke; I was angry, I was inspired. Every page left a lasting impression on me. One of the MANY things I loved about this book, was how REAL it was. There was no sugar coating at all. I felt like I was actually inside of Starr's head, feeling the same things she did and seeing what she saw. I enjoy many books that make you feel like a fly on the wall, watching things unfold but this was on a different level. I almost felt like I was a part of the story, despite never experiencing the tragedies the characters did. 

The character development and writing style is phenomenal. If you haven't already read this, and its not currently on your TBR, you need to put it as a priority- seriously. Also, if you love Tupac, you HAVE to read it. I've never really been into rap music, so Tupac isn't someone I listened to but this book definitely made me respect him so much. 

I definitely think the movie did the book justice. I have watched so many movie adaptations that just haven't been at the same level as the book. Of course the book is going to be different, but sometimes the movie just doesn't have the same impact on me. However, they definitely did a great job with THUG. I love both the book and film equally. 

Overall I gave this book 5 out of 5 stars. It is packed full of life gems and I thoroughly enjoyed every second of reading it. 

Have you read The Hate U Give? What are your thoughts? Leave your comments down below. 

Thanks for reading, 
Have a great day x 

18 comments

  1. Hey Chelle! I never read the book but I saw the movie and I thought it was so good!😍 You're so right about them explaining the meaning of THUG, it'll always stick with me ❤️👏🏾

    Natonya | https://justnatonya.wordpress.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The movie made me cry! It was so beautifully done xx

      Delete
  2. Brilliant review. I bought this book ages ago yet somehow I still haven't gotten around to reading it. I may have to bump it up my TBR pile!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Please do! It's fantastic. If you haven't seen the movie, you should watch that too. Maybe if you watch the movie it will make you want to read the book xx

      Delete
  3. I've had this on my shelf for a few months now but haven't quite got around to it yet. Having read your review, it's going straight to the top of the list! Such a great review - thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Let me know your thoughts when you're finished! I would love to hear your opinion. I barely put it down. Thanks for reading Lindsey xx

      Delete
  4. This book sounds amazing, I love a book that really grips you and draws you in. And thank you for not including spoilers, you gave just enough away to get me interested without ruining it x

    Sophie
    www.glowsteady.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hate when people spoil books for me so I try not to give too much away. Thanks for reading Sophie! X

      Delete
  5. This book is amazing! I could not put this down once I started, it really should be on everyone's to be read list! I've still to check out the movie but this book was unreal.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The movie is one of the best movie adaptations I have seen. I don't usually enjoy the movies whenever they try to mimic the book but they did this one so well!

      Delete
  6. This has been sitting on my bookshelf for ages! I have to read it!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have heard so many good things about this book and the movie, it sounds like a really interesting read, it sounds like you loved it so I’m definitely going to have to give it a go! Great review x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Angie did an amazing job writing this. It's definitely one of my new favourites x

      Delete
  8. I've heard endless good things about this book. I'd love to give it a read!

    Jenny
    http://www.jennyinneverland.com

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love it when a book speaks their story in a meaningful way. I remember seeing the trailer for the movie and it's something we're trying to deal with in real life. Glad you enjoyed the story! Thanks for sharing your thoughts :).

    Nancy ♥ exquisitely.me

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing from you guys so feel free to comment. Even if it's just to say hi ;)