chellebelle2016. Powered by Blogger.

January Academic Goals 2019


It has been so long since I have done an 'Academic Goals' post. My last one was back in May! I originally planned to start them again in September but finding time to blog during the first semester was a bit of a nightmare. Now that it is a brand new year, it is only right that I kick start them again. These type of posts always had a great response and honestly having academic and personal goals every month is essential for me.

I don't have many goals for this month as I don't start university again until the end of January. I have an exam on the 17th but my first lecture of second semester is the 29th.Most of these goals focus on the exam.

1) Learn how to draw Grammar Trees

If you have never studied English Language above GCSE level, you'll probably have no clue what these are, but they are THE WORST. I had heard of them during my A-levels but we didn't ever have to do them, so being told drawing them in first year was worth a hefty amount of marks in exams was quite the disappointment. When we were first introduced to them in a lecture, I had never left a room so confused. I went to the seminar the week after and still had no clue what I was doing. The week we broke up for Christmas, we had a revision session and I didn't improve much then either. It is now 2 weeks before the exam and I STILL DON'T KNOW WHAT I AM DOING. My number one goal for this month is to learn how to draw a stupid grammar tree. I understand the concept and the first couple steps but honestly I'm lost from beyond that point. Send help.

2) To Practise writing the two exam essays

This is obviously a goal I need to meet BEFORE the final exam, but it is one I am yet to even touch. The exam is 3 painful hours long and includes writing two essays. I feel like such an unprepared student because I haven't attempted to do a practise essay ONCE. I've known about this question for over a month and haven't even dissected the question, let alone wrote it. I don't know what it is, but I've come home and forgot I'm a student. I'm planning to sit myself down and plan the question out and then write it next week.

3) Learn the definitions for linguistic terms

This is a goal I have actually started trying to reach, thank God. It's probably the easiest of the tasks because its all a memory game. All I do for this is write out definitions over and over until I wake up repeating them.

4) My one goal for after the exam is to look into my modules before the term begins.

I am able to view what my modules are for second semester, so I want to read around the subject a little bit just to take off some of the stress. If I know the basis of the modules, then perhaps it will make assignments a lot easier and maybe I'll have to do less reading during the term (lol a girl can dream).

So these are my academic goals for the first month of the year! What are some of your academic goals? And if you're working full-time, what are your professional goals?

Thanks for reading,

Have a great day x


No comments

I love hearing from you guys so feel free to comment. Even if it's just to say hi ;)