chellebelle2016. Powered by Blogger.

My Final Year University Experience: Social Life


Welcome or welcome back! This is the second post within my final year experience series. If you haven't read the first, click here to read. The first post was all about the academic side of my final year. I talked about each module in detail, shared my results and plans for the future. This post will focus on the social side of uni, which has been very different in comparison to previous years due to the pandemic. If you want to know how my social life has been during my third year, just keep reading. 

For context, I was a member of the university dance club, so the majority of events were held by the Dance Club Committee. They did a fantastic job, especially given the circumstances they had to work with. Winning SU Club of the year was well deserved! 


ZOOM/ONLINE EVENTS 

The majority of socials were held online because of COVID-19, which was fine at first but eventually it became difficult to keep up with. Not because they weren't well planned and thought out events, but because I would spend all day on my laptop, so by the time it came to socials in the evening, I had little energy to stay in front of a screen. With that being said, I did manage to attend a few throughout the year, including a fancy dress night where we had to dress as something beginning with the initial of our name. I went as the iconic Radio Rebel. We played some drinking games and had a nice catch up. 


We also had a Netflix Party, which was nice. It was during the first term, so I can't remember what we watched, but I remember having a bunch of snacks and enjoying it. 


The SU held a big Christmas themed Kahoot back in December which was a lot of fun to do. Despite the circumstances, the SU did a great job trying to put everyone in the festive spirit. 


The last online event I went to was our annual awards evening. This is when committee hand out a bunch of awards for most improved dancer, most dedicated member etc and also announce the new club committee for the upcoming year. I was so surprised that I won an award this year because I hadn't been as active in the club as I would have liked, and definitely in comparison to previous years. Of course it was a pleasant surprise though! A great way to end my time as an Aston Student with the club. 


DANCE CLASSES

Most dance classes were held online via Zoom, however we did have a couple in-person sessions too (socially distanced of course). Despite not being able to dance with everyone until later into the year, I enjoyed the classes. I didn't get to do all of them but I tried my best to go to the ones I could. I also taught one class in term 1. It was very odd trying to teach through a laptop but fun nonetheless. 


After one of our in-person sessions, we stayed in the SU for happy hour and got some cocktails. It was lovely sitting in the sun and getting to hang out in real life rather than over zoom. 


I'm already missing being in the studio and I'm going to miss dancing with everyone. Graduating feels like leaving a family behind, but I'll definitely be back to visit. The SU are attempting to set up Alumni memberships for class of 2021 students who didn't get the full final year experience, which means I'll be eligible to attend the ball and other events held by the student union. If my timetable allows it, I'll definitely try to go to those because it's honestly heartbreaking that I didn't get to have the final year I imagined I would have. 


STUDY DATES

I expected a lot more study dates but unfortunately there wasn't many. I'm pretty sure I had about 3 the entire year. It was nice to get out of the house and be in some new scenery, even if it was only a few times. All the study dates I had were focused on dissertation. Bouncing some ideas around and trying to research as much as possible, so I could form a detailed proposal. It was really helpful to do this with other people and hear their ideas. It was also nice to feel useful and do the same for them too.


Although the year wasn't my favourite when it comes to social life and making memories, it wasn't the worst thing ever either. I'm sure many final year students around the world can relate to that. In fact, just university students in general. I especially feel sorry for first years.


What was your experience like? Let me know in the comments.


Although this post was very short compared to the first, I hope you enjoyed anyway.


Thanks for reading,

Have a great day x


No comments

I love hearing from you guys so feel free to comment. Even if it's just to say hi ;)