chellebelle2016. Powered by Blogger.

How to manage your time as a student


First year is almost over and it's bittersweet. Although I'm super excited for a long summer, I've been told by so many people that second year is so much more intense than first, so I'm low-key holding onto it for as long as I can. Before I actually started university I didn't realize how busy it can be. I don't know if it was just me being naive but I definitely thought I would be less busy at uni than I was at sixth form. In some ways that is true but time at uni is honestly so different. It's quite strange.

Anyway, I had a lot going on particularly last month, which is what gave me the idea to do this blog post. I thought I would share how I got through a jam packed month and give some advice for anyone at/going to university. This can be applied for any students of any level but I wish I had these tips before I started my degree. Hopefully this will help any freshers starting this year.

Disclaimer: I definitely don't have it all together and I'm in no way saying I have the secret formula for time management. I had my stresses and panics this semester like all students do. It is inevitable to fall behind sometimes and it's perfectly OK. This is just what works for me and hopefully it will work for you too. The best way to find what keeps you organised is through trial and error. Remember that everyone is in the same boat. Don't be afraid to ask for help if things get too much. 



Plan Ahead
Planning is one of my favourite things to do when I want to stay organised. I'm definitely someone who likes to know exactly what is going on and when it's happening, in advance. If you don't have some form of planner, get one and be-friend it. I have a planner for so many different things. I personally prefer to have separate planners for different occasions, but I'm nerdy like that and appreciate that it is probably excessive. One planner is all you need. Whether it is a paper planner or online calendar, you need something to keep track of everything.

I have a desk planner which I usually use for lectures, seminars, assignment deadlines and dance rehearsal times. Then I use my happiness planner for general stuff like seeing friends, events I'm going to etc. Having a planner/diary/calendar allows you to avoid clashes and making commitments you can't keep. I certainly would not have been able to keep up with everything this year without one.

If you work alongside your studies and have a degree of flexibility, it will also help you to see what days you need to book off or have available to do shifts.

Makes Lists 
Writing lists helps me to stay on top of things but also organise my thoughts. Of course I make daily To-Do lists but I also make lists for achievements and stresses. When I'm stressed, I like to write down everything that I am worried about and then create a solid plan of attack. For example, I may be stressed about not meeting an assignment deadline, so I make time to create a solution or timeline, so that I can achieve the task. It helped me throughout February in particular.

I also like to create lists of achievements. It can be so easy to overlook all the things you've achieved, when you're stressed or busy. Whether it is small or big, a success is a success so I like to acknowledge it. Write down all the things you have done in the day and it should hopefully motivate you to get more things done.

Pick a Focus 

I think we're all guilty of taking on too much at once when our To-Do list seems insane, however I have found that picking a focus is super beneficial. Whether your focus is the hardest, easiest or most time consuming task is completely up to you, however it really helps to have one. I get overwhelmed when I try to juggle 500 things at once. Focusing on one task at a time will keep you a little more sane. Picking what to focus on first can be a challenge but spending some time to figure that out will 100 per cent help you out.

My personal method is to prioritize each item on my To-Do list and go from there. I use the exclamation marks, but some use colours or columns. Three marks means it has to be done that day and as soon as possible, two means it has to be done that day and one means it can be done another day.

Example: 

1. Case Study Section 3 !!
2. Reading for Lecture !!
3. Iron Laundry !
4. Give Library Book Back !!!

Make deadlines
As a student, your life is centered around set deadlines. Making your own small deadlines can actually push you towards meeting them. This is something I have been doing for years now. Whenever I break an assignment up into chunks, I set deadlines for every section. For example, I may give myself 3 days to get a chapter written. Breaking it into smaller portions, allows me to schedule time to edit it if needs be or get feedback before I submit it.
If you have a month to get an essay done, instead of leaving it until 2 days before, give yourself a paragraph every couple of days.

Remind yourself of your goals
Ultimately, we all go through break downs and panics at some point. Sometimes all you need to do is get out of that dark hole, in order to be productive. It is easier said than done, but try to remind yourself of your goals. What are your future aspirations? Is this helping you get to where you need to be next? This can be short or long term. Perhaps you are aiming for a 1st in this particular module and this assignment can get you there, or you're money motivated and just want a good degree for your dream job. Whatever it is, bare it in mind and keep going! Everything will be worth it in the end.

I hope this was some help. Do you have any advice to share? Leave it in the comments.

Thanks for reading,
Have a great day x


No comments

I love hearing from you guys so feel free to comment. Even if it's just to say hi ;)