chellebelle2016. Powered by Blogger.

How To: Get Through Anxious Moments


This is a post I planned to get up last week as it was mental health awareness week, however I ended up getting caught up with work and then being way too tired to write when I had time for myself. Mental health is a subject that should be discussed as often as possible, so despite it no longer being mental health awareness week, I wanted to get this post up regardless.

Today I wanted to share some tips that I have used over the years to get me through anxiety attacks and anxious periods. I'm still learning how to cope with it, however these are some steps that have worked for me and will perhaps work for some of you reading this right now.

These tips can be used in combination of each other or on their own. I hope they are some help to you lovely people. Please remember that it is important to talk to those around you when you feel anxious or are in a panic. As hard as it can be, you have to let people in on how you're feeling in order to get the help you need. I bottle my feelings all the time and I'm working on taking this advice but I know the difference it makes when I do open up. Don't be afraid to tell your loved ones. 

#1 Say 3 Things You Are Grateful For Out Loud

Whenever I am feeling anxious, I tend to let whatever it is making me feel that way consume my thoughts. This is the worst thing you can do. Someone once told me to think of three things I am grateful for and say them out loud when I feel trapped. This has been a method I have been using for a long time now and it really does help. It doesn't solve the issue but it makes sure your mind doesn't drift into dark territory. Remembering the people and things I have in my life reminds me not to let the problem defeat me. If you don't want to say it out loud (say you're in public), just keep it in your mind. It really does help to say it out loud though.

#2 Write Down Your Feelings

I actually have a journal now that I use to write down my feelings when I'm anxious. I used to write it on a piece of paper and rip it up, which is still a brilliant method. You feel so much satisfaction when you rip all the negative thoughts up and throw them away. However I now write everything in one journal as I find it nice to read them back sometimes. It's not nice to read the awful feelings I felt, but I love seeing what God has brought me from. It's great to see how the situation has been resolved and where my head is at in comparison. Some people can be triggered by this though, so if you find this is yourself, stick to the paper and tearing method. I promise you, it's so relieving.

#3 Control Your Breathing

This one is more so for if you're having a panic attack or anxiety attack. I'm very fortunate that I can count on one hand how many times I've had a physical anxiety attack but unfortunately there are people who deal with this regularly. Because I haven't had that experience, I can't say this method is 100% effective, however this has helped me in the few situations I have been in.
Close your eyes and take deep and slow breaths. Allow yourself to find a state of peace. It can be a scary time but focus on yourself. Try not to worry about those around you, just focus on clearing your head and regaining your energy.

#4 Push Through The Feelings

This is something I have learnt recently. I used to run away from my feelings and try to keep myself busy in order to avoid them. SOMETIMES, this works but most the time it just delays the feelings. The best thing to do sometimes is to push through the emotions. It's like the old childhood book 'We're going on a bear Hunt'. You can't go over it, you can't go under it. You have to go through it. That's the reality. Sometimes you have to allow yourself to feel and cry. A lot of the time, you feel better once you just let it all happen.

#5 Read Positive Things

EVERYBODY knows somebody who posts depressing quotes back to back when they're annoyed or upset on their Snapchat. Don't be that person. It's OK to post quotes, but don't feed yourself on negative words and then project that to others. Not only does it not help you, but it irritates everyone else. Making yourself more upset by searching for negative words isn't going to stop you feeling the way you do. Instead, read positive quotes and affirmations. I found one on Pinterest this week that made it to my bedroom wall. It was a poster that said 'Remember- The God that created the most beautiful sights on earth also created YOU'. I loved it so much that I have it at my desk on a post it. Read things that tell you how strong you are, how much purpose you have, how much you appreciate your friends and family etc. Don't cut deeper into the wound, start treating it so it can heal.

I hope this was some help. Try to be patient with yourself and allow your mind to reset when it needs to. It is important to look after your mental health.

Thanks for reading,
Have a great day x

4 comments

  1. I love that you’re sharing how you handle tough moments. It will help others and give people like myself new ideas. Mental health is so important and I’m so happy that people like yourself are encouraging others ❤️

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for reading! I wish I had a post like this to read a few years ago, so I wanted to write this for people who may be struggling xx

      Delete
  2. These are such great tips! Breathing is such an important one and in particular belly breathing. Most of breathe with our chest which can cause more stress and pressure. But if you learn to belly breathe then you can actually breathe easier and smoother which can help during high anxiety and bring a sense of calm xx

    Lauren | itslaurenvictoria.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh thanks for this tip! I've never heard that before xx

      Delete

I love hearing from you guys so feel free to comment. Even if it's just to say hi ;)