chellebelle2016. Powered by Blogger.

All The Bright Places Book Review [NO SPOILERS]


It has been a while since I have posted a
book review, and that's because it has been a while since I read a book..... I know I'm ashamed. Like I say, doing an English Language degree takes away opportunity to read as much of my own material as I would like. I actually started another book before this but only read about 5 chapters because it wasn't for me. I've given myself a goal to read 4 books this summer, which means AT LEAST 4 book reviews coming your way.

We are kick starting with All The Bright Places by Jennifer Niven. This book was published in 2015 and won goodreads choice that same year. I guess I'm super late reading this one but I'm SO glad I have. 

'The Fault in Our Stars meets Eleanor and Park in this exhilarating and heart-wrenching love story about a girl who learns to live from a boy who intends to die.
Soon to be a major motion picture starring Elle Fanning!

Theodore Finch is fascinated by death, and he constantly thinks of ways he might kill himself. But each time, something good, no matter how small, stops him.

Violet Markey lives for the future, counting the days until graduation, when she can escape her Indiana town and her aching grief in the wake of her sister’s recent death.

When Finch and Violet meet on the ledge of the bell tower at school, it’s unclear who saves whom. And when they pair up on a project to discover the “natural wonders” of their state, both Finch and Violet make more important discoveries: It’s only with Violet that Finch can be himself—a weird, funny, live-out-loud guy who’s not such a freak after all. And it’s only with Finch that Violet can forget to count away the days and start living them. But as Violet’s world grows, Finch’s begins to shrink.'

I finished this book within 10 days, which is quite decent for a 388 page novel. It was certainly a page turner. There were times where I had to force myself to put it down. 

The book is written in two perspectives, which is a really difficult technique to master, but in my opinion Jenifer was successful. I feel that it is very difficult to switch gender perspectives and make it believable as a solo author, however she made it sound authentic. Her perspectives and character development for both Violet and Finch were well put together. I love that we were able to get into the minds of the characters in a very realistic manner. She doesn't try to make it seems as if they fully understand each other's thought process, which I think is a safe route to go. It highlights mental health in the perfect way by operating in this direction. 

I really grew a love for the characters and their stories, which made me root for them throughout the novel. I feel like the development of Violet towards the end could have been done better. It almost leaves you wondering "what next?". If this was the writer's intention, then I suppose she was successful, however I would have liked to know more about her life following the events. Other than that, I enjoyed getting to know the characters. 

This book is centered around themes of mental health and suicide, which are delicate topics, however Niven was very tasteful and sensitive to the matter, whilst going deep into the themes rather than glossing over them. I hate when books highlight these themes, but dance around it. I really respected the author for being consistent and shedding light on such heavy subjects. The book was heart-breaking but enlightening, in the most amazing ways. I had great sympathy for the characters and you definitely get an insight into the painful reality of why suicide victims take the route they do, however it also makes sure to vocalize the effects it has on everyone around you. One thing this book really taught me was that suicide only transfers the pain, it doesn't end it. 

Although this book can get quite heavy, it is also full of love, hope, growth and inspiration. It made me want to explore my city and find little gems that make it special. It made me even more appreciative of my close friends, and it also reminded me to keep moving forward even when life gets tough. It's such a great book to read if you want to LEARN but also if you want to UNDERSTAND. It educated me so much on the struggles of mental health. I'm someone who is very much aware of it already, but I still took so much from the novel, so I can imagine it would teach those who are ignorant to these issues. 

Overall I would give this book 4 out of 5 stars. I really did enjoy it and I always respect a book that teaches me something new. I was definitely teary eyed when reading this so be warned. 

Have you read any books around the theme of mental health? Let me know in the comments.

Thanks for reading, 
Have a great day x

4 comments

  1. I read this book soon after it came out and its one of my absolute favorites! I agree about the double perspectives and im usually not a fan of that but the author does it sooo well and i couldnt put the book down! I was so emotionally invested in it and i was in absolute literal tears at the ending!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for reading my review Huda! I'm glad you enjoyed it too. Definitely had to have the tissues next to me with this one x

      Delete
  2. I'm so glad you liked it! This has been on my list for a while but I just haven't gotten to it yet. I totally know what you mean about school getting in the way of what you want to read. When I graduated I read three books the following week, and it felt amazing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha silly me thought I would have loads of time to read since my timetable wasn't full. Very wrong x

      Delete

I love hearing from you guys so feel free to comment. Even if it's just to say hi ;)