chellebelle2016. Powered by Blogger.

Still Me by Jojo Moyes Book Review [NO SPOILERS]


I was a huge fan of Me before you when the book was first published, and loved After You (the second novel) just as much. When Jojo Moyes released the final novel to complete the trilogy, I was super excited and it went straight onto my 2019 TBR. I started the novel back in July 2019 but only just finished it this month. I'll talk about that in this post. Despite it taking me so long to finish it, I still wanted to write a review. So, lets get into it.


Here is a description of the book, taken from goodreads: 

Louisa Clark arrives in New York ready to start a new life, confident that she can embrace this new adventure and keep her relationship with Ambulance Sam alive across several thousand miles. She steps into the world of the super-rich, working for Leonard Gopnik and his much younger second wife, Agnes. Lou is determined to get the most out of the experience and throws herself into her new job and New York life.

As she begins to mix in New York high society, Lou meets Joshua Ryan, a man who brings with him a whisper of her past. Before long, Lou finds herself torn between Fifth Avenue where she works and the treasure-filled vintage clothing store where she actually feels at home. And when matters come to a head, she has to ask herself: Who is Louisa Clark? And how do you find the courage to follow your heart—wherever that may lead?

The first thing I would say is that you would need to read the other two books in order to understand this one. Some trilogies can be read separately and whenever, but that is not the case with this book. They all link together and you will miss a lot of important information if you don't have prior knowledge before reading still me. 

My Thoughts 


This book had so much potential, but for me it just didn't leave much impact on me. This surprised me, as everyone I spoke to who had read this, told only wonderful things. I'm not sure why I just couldn't get into it. With the other two books, I could barely put it down but with this book the struggle was remembering to pick it up. For me, it just wasn't memorable. As aforementioned, I started this book in July 2019, which was 8 months ago, although I believe it stayed on my dresser for a good 2 months at some point. I hate not finishing books, so I pretty much forced myself to get to the end and even when I did, the ending was so predictable and unfulfilling. I love a good cliff hanger but I feel like it only works when you're rooting for the characters or scenario. I didn't have much care for any of the characters or potential outcomes at that point, so the ending felt quite disappointing. So many things were left unsolved and it felt like there was only one focus. 


Something I did love though was the relationship between Lou and Margot De Witt. I really loved the friendship they had and how much care they had for one another. Margot was quite cold in nature and didn't like to show it, but you could always tell the love was there. They were probably the only two characters I had any sort of attachment to. 


I also loved that Lou really found herself and what she was passionate about, by the end of the story. Rather than it just being a romance novel, it became a 'coming of age' sort of thing. She faces a lot of hardships in the book and seeing how she deals with it, was inspiring. 


Overall I would give this book a 2.5 out of 5. Two stars is a bit harsh but it didn't quite hit that three mark. Perhaps if I re-read it in the future, my perspective may change. 


Have you read this book? If so, let me know in the comments. Whether you agree or disagree with my views, I would love to hear your opinion. 


Thanks for reading,

Have a great day x

8 comments

  1. I have read Me Before You and it was devastatingly good yet to read the rest of the two. So thank you for sharing this review I had no idea Lou's character has developed so much would be interesting to read.

    https://www.ohwellyes.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes so much happens for Lou in the second and third book. It's great to see how she grows from the first one

      Delete
  2. I appreciate honest reviews. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I haven't read the first two books; I'm still unsure I'd really be interested in the story. But I loved your honest review and it helped me put things in perspective. Thanks!

    Lia.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The first book is fantastic! It's definitely worth the read

      Delete
  4. Jojo Moyes is an author frequently recommended to me. I have some of her books sitting on my shelf patiently waiting to be read.

    It’s a real shame when stories have so much potential but just don’t quite get it right.

    (I love that the lead is Louisa. I rarely see my name used in stories. In fact, I can’t name another!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The first book is definitely worth the read. And the sequel is just as good x

      Delete

I love hearing from you guys so feel free to comment. Even if it's just to say hi ;)