chellebelle2016. Powered by Blogger.

The Ordinary Serum Foundation Review


It has been a hot minute since I have written a foundation review. I am always on the look out for good foundations, because a flawless base is very much important to me when it comes to makeup. I placed a Beauty Bay Order (no surprise there) when they had their 30% off January Sales. I needed to spend another £5 to get free shipping and decided to order 'The Ordinary Serum Foundation'. I had heard some good things about this foundation on YouTube and with it only being £5.75, I thought "why not?".

I have been testing this foundation out for about a month, and thought I would share with my readers, my overall thoughts on the product. 

Basic Information

Shade: 2.1Y (Medium with Yellow undertones)
Amount: 30ML
Coverage: Light
Price: £5.75
Finish: Semi-Matte 

This product has SPF 15 and is suitable for 'All Skin Types'.

Foundation Description

A serum-textured natural coverage foundation that softens undesirable hues and visibly reduces imperfections.


Let me just get straight to the point. I have quite a mixed opinion on this product. My first impressions were fairly positive. I wanted something light-weight, which this definitely is. The consistency is almost as thin as water. When I first applied the foundation I liked that it wasn't thick and couldn't be felt sitting on my skin. Considering the formula it has decent coverage too, however the shade is definitely wrong for me. It is described as a yellow undertone, but it's without a doubt ORANGE. As soon as I applied it I noticed it wasn't yellow at all. I still wanted to give it a good go though, so I carried on applying it and used concealer to tone it down. It worked pretty well and didn't look too off afterwards. It didn't match, but I also didn't look crazy.

One thing I LOVE about this foundation is that it didn't sink into my smile lines as quickly as any other foundations I have tried. I have very deep set smile lines and I'm yet to find a foundation that doesn't sink into them. This was probably the best I have tried in terms of staying smooth. I usually experience foundation sinking into fine lines after about 2 hours wear but this pretty much lasted double that time before I needed to touch up.

Based on my first day of using the product, I thought this was going to be a thumbs up, however throughout the 4 weeks I put this to the test, I noticed some not so great things.

For one, it oxidizes. I'm usually not too fussed about oxidization due to having medium toned skin anyway, but this was orange to begin with, so you can imagine my surprise when I looked in the mirror one day and it had darkened even more. This was definitely a turn-off but I was obviously going to keep working with it, to give a full review.

The second turn off I had was that it applies patchy. Perhaps this is due to its thin consistency. Whether I dot the foundation onto my face and blend, or apply it to the brush first, it applies patchy. I struggled to fix it too because it also dries super quickly.

One thing I will say is that it applies a lot nicer with your fingers than a sponge or brush. The brand themselves recommend using your fingers, and I will say it works better. The only down side is that it gets pretty messy and leaves my hands looking a little Umpa-Lumpaish.



Summary of my thoughts

Pros: 
- Good Coverage for a Light Foundation
- Light Weight Feel
- Simple Packaging (with a pump- yay)
- Cruelty and Fragrance Free 
- Doesn't sink into fine lines quickly

Cons:
- Wrong shade
- Oxidizes 
- Patchy Application (Although it gradually merges with my skin eventually)
- Dries too quickly
- Transfers (Seriously- I've had to wash my scarf 3 times just this week)

Overall, I would say this foundation was a fail. I really wanted to love it, but the cons definitely outweigh the pros. I actually really enjoyed it at first, so it is so strange that my opinion flipped out of nowhere. I don't want to waste the product so perhaps I will try mixing it with others.

Have you tried this foundation before? What were your thoughts?
Let me know in the comments what other foundations I should try.

Thanks for reading,
Have a great day x


2 comments

  1. I always wondered how this brand was since I never really heard much about it. I hate when foundations oxidize too, it can really ruin the look of your entire makeup sometimes.Thanks for sharing your review on it! This was so helpful! :)

    melissakacar.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It had so much potential but unfortunately it just didn't work for me, which is a shame. I'm currently testing out their skincare products for a month too though so look out for a review sometime next month!

      Thanks for reading Melissa x

      Delete

I love hearing from you guys so feel free to comment. Even if it's just to say hi ;)