chellebelle2016. Powered by Blogger.

University Dos and Don'ts: First Year


A huge congratulations to everyone who got their results yesterday. I hope you got what you wanted and worked hard for. If not, it's not the end of the world! I definitely didn't get what I wanted, but God still had a plan for me. Don't beat yourself up if you didn't get what you expected.

Now that you have your results, the majority of people will know what university they will be attending/if they will be going to university at all. I thought this would be a good time to share some DOS and DON'Ts for your first year.

Disclaimer: 
This advice is based on my own experience. Some of the don'ts are things that I did and learnt weren't the best thing to do, and the dos are things that I did and benefited from. I am definitely not a model student, dishing out advice because I think I'm so great at this uni thing. The advice is there to help you out if you're feeling a bit anxious about your first year. Use it as a guideline, not instruction.

DOS 
  • Say YES to trying new things and opportunities - Something I regret is not going to certain events because I didn't know anyone who was going. Don't let fear stop you from doing things that could really benefit you. What is there to lose? You will meet new people and potentially make the best friendships, you could find a new interest and make a significant memory. JUST DO IT. 
  • Join a club/society. You will have the most fun ever being a part of a society or club. There are so many events and opportunities to make memories. If you're going to Aston University, join the dance club! (shameless plug). You don't have to have any dance experience to be a part of the club. We're like one big family and trust me, it will make your first year. 
  • Brush up on some content for your course. You would be so surprised how easy it is to forget the basics after keeping your books closed for months. Some courses have exams right at the beginning of the year, and others just jump straight in. You don't want to be overwhelmed when they throw information at you that you barely remember. I'm not saying to revise as if you're doing your A-levels again, but read over your flashcards every now and then. 
  • Apply for overdraft! Even if you have no intention of using it, having it there is so useful. One month I wasn't able to do any shifts due to assignment deadlines, and my SF wasn't enough to pay my rent, so overdraft came to the rescue. You really never know when you might need that money, so just apply. 
  • Be organised and productive. You have so much free time, and I'm only really realising that now. Take time to plan your days and look after yourself. That includes your space! I was so shocked at the state of some people's flats and bathrooms. Schedule time to clean your room as often as possible. It's so important. Not only will it keep you healthy and stop you from getting sick, but having a clean space helps with concentration. I don't like working around people, as I can get easily distracted, so I always studied in my room. Having a clear desk and nice smelling room made that easier. 
  • Take plenty of vitamins before and during Fresher's week!! Listen guys, Fresher's Flu is REAL. I didn't think it was all that bad. Thought I would just get a cold for a week and then I'd be OK, so I didn't take any vitamins before I moved in. I was sick for 2 MONTHS. Fresher's Flu is a different kind of Flu honestly and you want to prevent your chances of having the worst of it. 
  • Respect your lecturers and course mates. Lectures can be boring but some people actually want to take in the information and the lecturer definitely wants to be heard. For the love of mankind, don't be that person who just talks all the way through it. AT LEAST WHISPER! I have course mates that don't even try to be discrete and it's not fun for people just trying to get through it so they can go back to bed............I mean the library. 
  • Spend time with your flat mates during the first week. We made the mistake of not doing that, so we weren't as close as we could have been. Being good friends with your flat mates only makes your experience better. I mean you literally have to live with them. They will probably see you at your worst too. My flat mates saw me in terrifying face masks, looking rough and clapped. Put in the effort to get to know your flat mates during the first few weeks and if you still don't get on, at least you tried. 

DON'TS

  • Don't expect to be best friends with the people you talk to in group-chats or hang around during Fresher's week. You may have the same friends right from the beginning, however that isn't always the case. It is best not to have any expectations when it comes to friendships. You will meet SO many people, so just keep an open mind. 
  • Don't forget to contact your family and friends back home!! Living in student accommodation feels like it's own society sometimes and it's easy to forget your loved ones back home. Call them, go and see them on weekends, face-time. Make sure you make time for them. 
  • Don't change to fit in. If you don't like going out or drinking, DO NOT push yourself to keep doing it, just to please other people. If everyone else is doing things you don't really want to do but you feel pressured to do it, leave that situation. Find a new group of friends, who will respect your decisions. 
  • Don't go out if you have a 9 am the next day. You will not make that lecture. Speaking from experience. 
  • Don't leave your coursework until the last minute. They give you such a big time frame to complete it because you need that much time to work on it. They wouldn't make your deadline 2 months away, if you didn't need a significant amount of time to do it. You don't necessarily have to start the minute you receive it, but don't leave it until the week before (unless you don't mind lack of sleep) 
  • Don't get too drunk during Fresher's week. You probably won't know any one yet, so you don't know who has the heart to look after you. Some people are awful and will leave you on your own when you're stumbling around. It's also not great for your reputation. Don't allow yourself to be labelled as the girl or guy who can't handle their drink. Literally the FIRST night of being at uni, people had bad reputations created for themselves because of their wild antics. 
  • This one is specifically for the boys. Don't move to absolutely every girl you come across. You never know who they're friends with and trust me it will catch up to you! Girls can put 2 and 2 together very easily. Don't do it to yourself. 
  • Don't neglect your mental health. Your mind is the most important thing you have, so take time for yourself. Spend time with your friends, make sure you hear a familiar voice, pamper yourself, watch Netflix. Whatever it is that eases your mind, do it. 

So these are some of my dos and don'ts for first year. I have so much more but I would be here forever if I shared them.
I hope you have an amazing year. It will flash before your eyes so make the most of it and document it! I barely took pictures or videos and I really regret it. An extra DO for you is to capture your memories, so you can look back at them.

Thanks for reading,
Have a great day x



18 comments

  1. These are such good tips! I love how you talked about Fresher's Flu- SO real! Great tip to take loads of vitamins during that time!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I definitely wish I had taken that advice!

      Delete
  2. You've got some great suggestions! University can be such a great time, I look back at my time fondly, but it's easy to get swept up in everything. Stay true to yourself!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. 100% agree. It changes you so much, you just have to be careful and make sure it's for the better x

      Delete
  3. Great tips for first time students. My tip would be (even if mommy and daddy are paying) remember why you are there in school. Do well while someone else is paying. Be serious.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Great advice! It's OK to party but make sure you get a good degree at the end of it x

      Delete
  4. I'm always a proponent of joining clubs! I didn't get the dorm/flat experience in university because I lived at home throughout it all. I still made the most of it by getting involved though.
    Hannah the Mad Dog

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's good! Great way to meet people. I moved out for my first year and I'll be commuting for my second. Will be interesting to see how different the experience is x

      Delete
  5. Oh college, I remember those days...also hi! How do I follow your blog? I'm on wordpress and would love to follow you. Hmm...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You can follow me on Bloglovin'!

      https://www.bloglovin.com/blogs/chelle-belle-14800691

      Thanks for reading Christina!

      Delete
  6. This is so true! I talk to noone now that I met in freshers week. They were lovely people, but just not my kind of people! I've met people much more suited to me now. Great informative post for new uni attenders! x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Same here. We still have little chats on campus and stuff but we're not in the same circle anymore, which is totally fine. Thanks for reading Sophie! X

      Delete
  7. Great post, I wish I had read this in my first year haha. Joining clubs and societies and being open to new things really helped me xx

    ALittleKiran | Bloglovin

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sometimes you have to step right out your comfort zone to have the best experiences. Thank you for reading xx

      Delete
  8. I start uni in September so these tips are super helpful!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Just stumbled across this post (even though you wrote it a year ago) as I'm really enjoying university advice blogs right now. I start in September and I'm going to be living in halls. Lots of blogs I've found have been amaerican so its great go find this. I'm about to read through all your university posts. This one is really amazing though and I've taken a few notes from it to help me through my first week. Xxxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I’m glad they’re helpful for you! I wish you all the best as you start your journey! <3

      Delete

I love hearing from you guys so feel free to comment. Even if it's just to say hi ;)