chellebelle2016. Powered by Blogger.

Bible Study: James 1 (NIV)


HAPPY SUNDAY EVERYONE. You made it to the end (or beginning depending on how you see it) of the week. Either way, it's a huge achievement. You really do have to thank God everyday for allowing you to see another day.
Speaking of God, today's blog post is a little different. I originally planned to make a part II of my Gospel Playlist post, however I was studying James 1 today (Saturday) and really felt called to share my study. I've not done a post like this before, so I'm not sure what the response will be like, but when God puts in your spirit to share something you just have to trust him and do it.

I've shared a few faith posts in the past and I definitely want to do more of them. I guess this is a good start. This is going to be a more concise version of my actual study. The study was 17 pages long (yup you read that right) and took me 3 hours, so it would be a bit much to share all of that on here. I'm just going to share the points that I think God wants me to share the most, and that particularly stood out to me. If you've never read James 1 before, you could perhaps use this as a guideline or for extra pointers for your own study. Or maybe you're not Christian and just want to know more about this chapter. Either way, I hope you gain something from this post. This is going to be a LONG one.

The layout of this study is going to be slightly different to the way I did it a couple hours ago, just to keep it as concise as possible. If you want to know how I format my studies, read How To: Bible Study. I will put the actual verse for some, however not all as it will make this post way too long. You will need to use a Bible of your own to follow along and understand.

How I am going to structure this post:
  • The verse 
  • My thoughts and revelation
  • My applications 
  • Prayer 
Right, so for context James was a servant of God. He wrote this book to the 12 tribes scattered among the nations. The first chapter is about Trials and Temptations, and also Listening and Doing. All will make sense as I go through some key verses. 

James 1:2-3
"Consider it pure Joy, my brothers and sisters, whenever you face trials of many kinds, because you know that the testing of your faith produces perseverance." 

When I read this, the thing that stood out to me was "pure Joy". Feelings of Joy is very out of the ordinary when it comes to human response to problems. It is not our first reaction or natural response to trials, yet God tells us (through James) to be joyful. This highlights how Christians are called to be different. We are to have a positive outlook on all situations. This verse also tells us that testing of our faith produces perseverance. Our faith is strengthened or weakened through the way we handle trials. 

James 1:5-6 
"If any of you lacks wisdom you should ask God, who gives generously to all without finding fault, and it will be given to you. But when you ask, you must believe and not doubt, because the one who doubts is like the wave of the sea blown and tossed by the wind."

Here, James is instructing us to ask God through prayer for wisdom. The verse also highlights God's generosity and love. If you ask him for wisdom, he will give it to you without finding faults! However, it tells us to have faith in our prayers. The comparison to waves symbolises inconsistency and instability. Waves are fluid and when controlled by wind it is unpredictable. If we ask God for something, we should come with an expectation that the Lord will provide. Have confidence that he will supply all your needs according to riches in glory by Christ Jesus (Philippians 4:19).  

James 1:9 
"Believers in humble circumstances ought to take pride in their high position". 

As Christians we have a high position in the world, as we are promised eternal life as a result of accepting Christ Jesus as the lord and savior of our lives (John 3:16). In other words, this verse is telling us not to be ashamed to be Christian. In a world that is so different to the Bible, it is so easy to feel ashamed and embarrassed to choose to follow the word of God. People view it as old fashioned and out-dated. But God tells us to have pride. 

James 1:12 
"Blessed is the one who perseveres under trial, because, having stood the test, that person will receive the crown of life that the Lord has promised to those who love him". 

I find this verse very comforting. God tells us that those who persevere when facing problems will be blessed with everlasting life as he promised in his word. There are many rewards for those who accept Jesus into their lives. If you love him, you will not be left to suffer and crumble under the weight of pressure. 

Jesus' life was full of suffering, right up until his death. He was slandered, mocked and crucified on a cross, yet he continuously demonstrated unconditional love. As Christians we are called to hold this same standard. 

James 1:13-14
"When tempted, no one should say 'God is tempting me'. For God cannot be tempted by evil, nor does he tempt anyone, but each person is tempted when they are dragged away by their own evil desires and enticed." 

Our temptations themselves are not from God, but he may use the situations we put OURSELVES and EACH OTHER in, to strengthen us. We are only tempted by our own evil desires. We cannot be lured into sin that we have no desire for. This may be directly through us or generational curse. For example, the enemy will not tempt someone who doesn't enjoy social situations, with the party lifestyle. He will use our own underlining desires to create weaknesses. 

 James 1:15-16 
"Then, after desire has conceived, it gives birth to sin and sin, when its full-grown gives birth to death. Don't be deceived my dear brothers and sisters". 

Verse 15 is a great breakdown of how trials are lost. First we have a desire, such as 'to overcome grief" and the enemy may perverse this desire by allowing this to be fulfilled through drinking alcohol, as a temporary distraction from grief. This can then be used by the enemy to turn into sin, such as alcohol abuse or addiction. If sin is not rectified and we fail to repent, it can lead to death. OBVIOUSLY, what we want is everlasting life, so it is important not to let temptation win. Once it does, it is beyond our control. We cannot be deceived by the attractiveness and appeal of temptation, because its ugliness and re precautions are being disguised.  

James 1:19-20 
"My dear brothers and sisters, take note of this: everyone should be quick to listen, slow to speak and slow to become angry., because human anger does not produce the righteousness that God desires" 

These verses tell me that we need to be willing to listen to others, before we jump to make our point clear. Aim to understand. This is what Jesus would do. Do not react in anger before understanding another perspective. Human anger can lead to us making rash and permanent decisions for a temporary situation.  

James 1:22-25 
"Do not merely listen to the word, and so deceive yourselves. Do what it says. Anyone who listens to the word but does not do what it says is like someone who looks at his face in a mirror and, after looking at himself, goes away and immediately forgets what he looks like. But whoever looks intently into the perfect law that gives freedom, and continues in it—not forgetting what they have heard, but doing it - they will be blessed in what they do. 

Do not solely listen to and read the word, but apply it to your life. Allow God to show his glory through your lifestyle. It's all good knowing and mesmerizing the word, but it is important to live it out. People should be able to see Jesus through you. I know I need to work on this myself. It's important to demonstrate what you study. Those who live according to his word will be blessed. 

James 1:26-27 
"Those who consider themselves religious and yet do not keep a tight rein on their tongues deceive themselves, and their religion is worthless. Religion that God our Father accepts as pure and faultless in this: to look after Orphans and Widows in their distress and to keep oneself from being polluted by the world". 

If you consider yourself as religious, you must learn to control your language. It should be positive and pleasing to God. I love verse 27 because it really summaries what Christianity is all about. We spend so much time debating about which religion is the right one, rather than focusing on what is pleasing to God. James tells us that God accepts the religion that loves and supports the people in need. The main thing we are called to do as Christians is to LOVE. Jesus was and is a living example of unconditional love and we are ALL called to love one another. We may clash and have disagreements, but we have been instructed to love God's people. Don't forget that we were ALL made in his image and we are ALL his children. One of my favourite scriptures is Ephesians 4:32 because it reminds us that we were forgiven by Jesus by his grace, therefore we should treat others with that same mercy.

Applications: This section is what I want to apply to my life, relating to this chapter 

  • Trust God during trials and respond with Joy, as I know at the other end will come perseverance, maturity and wholeness. 
  • When I pray, I need to be more confident that God will do and give what my heart desires, according to his will. 
  • I need to ensure that I do not doubt God's power. Not only is it insulting to God, but it's self sabotaging, as the word clearly tells us that doubters reap nothing (James 1:7) 
  • Be at the same standard as Jesus and love despite the world shunning Christians for our beliefs 
  • Be understanding and an active listener. Do not resort to anger as first response to a situation. 
  • Be careful with my choice of words about/to people or about a situation. Remember that nobody is perfect and we are all made in God's image (Proverbs 18:21, Ephesians 4:29) 
  • Remember that I am called to LOVE 
Prayer for me: 

Father in the name of Jesus, I pray that I will not crumble under the weight of pressure, but I will respond with joy, knowing that every trial and tribulation will be used for good. I pray that it will strengthen my faith and that I will mature in my walk with Christ. I pray that the more I pray, the more I grow in confidence that you will respond and fulfill all my desires. I pray that I will be slow to anger and quick to listen. Let people know me for being peaceful and having an understanding nature. I pray that I can show the nature of Jesus, through my living. Let me remember your word and remember that I am called to love and called to be different. I pray I do not fall under temptation, but rise above it. Give me wisdom, courage and faith to live according to your word. I pray that my language will be a reflection of you and it will be positive, glorifying you and your kingdom. I pray against any plans the enemy may have to cause destruction through trials and tribulations. In Jesus name, amen. 

Prayer for reader:

Father God, I pray for everyone who comes across this post. I pray that they understand the power they possess because Christ died for us. I pray that they don't grow weary during trials, but they lean on you and push through. Let them understand and feel how much you love them and are for them. Show your glory through their situation and use it to mature them. I declare victory and triumph for every issue this person may be facing right now. Let them show love to all your people. I pray that those who do not know you, will accept you into their lives and receive all the blessings you have for them. Let them understand your heart and give you all the glory. In Jesus name, amen. 

Thanks for reading, 
Have a great day x

6 comments

  1. So beautifully done! I will definitely be using this guide!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you so much! I am trying to grow in my faith especially after some hard seasons. I especially need to hear James 1:2-3 because of this.

    Hannah the Mad Dog

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I pray that whatever situation you are in/were in, will not defeat you. Write James 1:2-3 on a post it and stick it on your mirror to see everyday, as a reminder to be joyful and push through it x

      Delete

I love hearing from you guys so feel free to comment. Even if it's just to say hi ;)